Packing and Gear for Camino on the Via Podiensis / GR65

We are about to head off on our next adventure along the Chemin Le Puy, and we are finally getting around to the task of packing.  I thought I would share what is on my packing list, which will probably look familiar to some, and a little crazy to others.

The list of things I am taking on this hike is pretty much identical to what I brought with me on our Camino Frances.  My clothing for the next 42 days consists of one long-sleeve Icebreaker Merino wool shirt, two short sleeved shirts, a micro fleece sweater, an Outdoor Research sun hat, breathable North Face rain gear, two skirts, two pairs of leggings, three pairs of Smartwool hiking socks, underwear, hiking sandals, a scarf, and mittens. I also have a sleeping bag, 1L SIGG water bottle,  Komperdell hiking poles, a pack towel, a first aid kit, clothes pegs, a headlamp, a sewing kit, camp soap (for washing myself and my clothes), a toiletries kit, a day bag, the Lightfoot guide book, Miam Miam DoDo Guidebook, and my Camino Credential.  I also have two tupperware containers which we found useful for carrying lunch materials.  Not shown are my hiking boots, and phone.


Out of curiosity, and to dispel the myth of how heavy Sean's bag is/was, we weighed our bags.  Mine came in at 24.5 lbs (11.1 kg), and Sean's weighted 32.5 lbs (14.7 kgs).


It would be possible for me to reduce the weight of my pack in several ways.  My bag, a Lowe Alpine , is quite old and has a metal frame, meaning it weighs about 8 lbs when it is empty.  Modern packs are much lighter.  I also opted to take Keen hiking sandals, which are much heavier than flip-flops or equivalent.  However, to give myself a break I occasionally spent a day hiking in them, and we walked quite far in the afternoons while exploring each town, so they came in handy for me.  The clothes pegs, camp soap, and tupperware containers are also not strictly necessary, but these were all very useful on our last hike, and I don't mind the extra ounces.

Comments

  1. Can I ask if the weight was manageable across the whole trip?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment